Carbon monoxide poisoning

Carbon monoxide poisoning is a gas that has no smell or taste. Breathing it in can make you unwell and it can kill.

Carbon monoxide poisoning (CO) is sometimes referred to as the 'silent killer'. In the UK, more than 50 people die from accidental Carbon monoxide poisoning every year, and 200 people are left seriously ill.

A headache is the most common symptom of mild Carbon monoxide poisoning. Other symptoms include:

·               dizziness and nausea (feeling sick)

·               vomiting (being sick)

·               tiredness and confusion

·               stomach pain

·               shortness of breath and difficulty breathing

Symptoms of Carbon monoxide poisoning can be similar to those of food poisoning  and the flu . However, unlike flu, Carbon monoxide poisoning does not cause a high temperature (fever).

Read more about the signs and symptoms of Carbon monoxide poisoning  .

Carbon monoxide poisoning

Carbon monoxide poisoning is difficult to detect because it has no smell, taste or colour. This means you can inhale it without realising.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is produced when fuels such as gas, oil, coal, or wood do not burn fully. When a fire burns in an enclosed space, such as a room, the oxygen is gradually used up and replaced with carbon dioxide. The fuel is unable to burn fully and releases Carbon monoxide poisoning.

After breathing in Carbon monoxide poisoning it enters your bloodstream and mixes with haemoglobin (the part of red blood cells that carry oxygen around your body), to form carboxyhaemoglobin. When this happens, the blood is no longer able to carry oxygen and the lack of oxygen causes the body’s cells and tissue to die.

What causes Carbon monoxide poisoning to leak?

Incorrectly installed, poorly maintained or poorly ventilated household appliances, such as cookers, heaters and central heating boilers, are the most common sources of Carbon monoxide poisoning.

Blocked flues and chimneys can also prevent Carbon monoxide poisoning escaping, allowing it to build up to dangerous levels.

The risk of Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur at any time in any home or enclosed space.

Read more about the causes of Carbon monoxide poisoning.

Being aware of the signs

It is very important to be aware of the risk of Carbon monoxide poisoning and to look out for warning signs.

You should suspect Carbon monoxide poisoning if:

·               other people in your house, flat or workplace fall ill with similar symptoms

·               your symptoms disappear when you go away (for example on holiday) and return when you come back

·               your symptoms tend to be seasonal - for example, you get headaches more often during the winter when the central heating is used more frequently

Other possible signs of a CO leak include:

·               black, sooty marks on the front covers of gas fires

·               sooty marks on the walls around boilers, stoves or fires

·               smoke building up in rooms due to a faulty flue

·               yellow instead of blue flames coming from gas appliances

What to do if you suspect a leak

If several people in the same building develop flu-like symptoms without a temperature, and you think it could be linked to a CO leak, you should:

·               immediately stop using all your cooking and heating appliances that use fuel other than electricity

·               open all of the windows in your house or building

·               move away from the source of the CO gas

·               call the Health and Safety Executive (HSE)  Gas Safety Advice Line on 0800 300 363 for advice (freephone service)

·               visit your GP as soon as possible

If you have a CO leak, ask a suitably qualified engineer to inspect your cooking appliances, central heating and water heating appliances, to check they are safe.

Treating Carbon monoxide poisoning

You will need oxygen therapy treatment in hospital if you have been exposed to a high level of Carbon monoxide poisoning.

Oxygen therapy involves breathing in 100% oxygen through a tight fitting mask (normal air contains about 21% oxygen). Breathing in concentrated oxygen enables your body to quickly replace carboxyhaemoglobin.

Read more about how Carbon monoxide poisoning is treated  .

The time it takes to recover depends on how much Carbon monoxide poisoning you have been exposed to and how long you have been exposed to it for.

Between 10-15% of people who have severe Carbon monoxide poisoning develop long-term complications such as damage to the brain or heart.

Read more about the complications of Carbon monoxide poisoning.

Risk groups

Carbon monoxide poisoning is a danger to everyone, but certain groups are more vulnerable. These include:

·               babies and young children

·               pregnant women

·               people with chronic heart disease

·               people with respiratory problems, such as asthma

Preventing Carbon monoxide poisoning

The best way of protecting you and your family is to be aware of the dangers and identify any appliances in your house that could potentially leak Carbon monoxide poisoning.

Installing a CO alarm will detect a Carbon monoxide poisoning leak in your home and give out a high-pitched noise when levels of the gas are high. They are available from DIY and hardware stores. However, alarms are not a substitute for maintaining and regularly servicing household appliances.

Read more about preventing Carbon monoxide poisoning  .